Saturday, February 23, 2013

My Valentine's Day Gift - Photoshop Elements

I heart photography.  I am a very visual person and just love the way photography can capture feelings and emotions into something that I can look at for years to come.  When I had my children, my love for photography reached a whole new level as I realized just how fleeting many of those moments are. 

As some of you may remember, I gushed about my favorite children's photographer in this post.  She's a dear friend who I "bumped" into years ago and have grown to know as a rockstar mama, wife and most recently photographer.  She will be the one who I forever take my children to for those milestone photo sessions.  But, on the other days when my kiddos are doing something that I find "photo-worthy," (which is most every day of the year), I want to have the ability to take the pictures that are worthy of being preserved for years to come...not the fuzzy, color blown shots that I am always taking on my iPhone.  She suggested I pair my basic DSLR with Photoshop Elements.  So...Photoshop Elements went on my gift list.  And in the meantime, I continued to work on my photography skills by taking LOTS of photos.  Seriously.  LOTS. 

I shot my sister and her husband on a very COLD, December afternoon.  It was my first photo shoot to anyone other than my poor children and I had SO much fun.  I froze.  But I had SO much fun.  Here was a highlight from that session (edited with PicMonkey....oh how I love PicMonkey). 
I do have to give a shout out to my husband for his assistance on this photo session.  We used quite a few "props," including snugly blankets, metal letters and their dog.  While shooting, he became the prop master walking up and down the river bank, covered in blankets with a giant (high strung) dog, looking like a homeless man.  It made us laugh...and don't worry he was rewarded with a trip to a microbrewery following the last shot. 
 
I was then able to take pictures of this sweet baby girl....
 
Ahhh...I had caught it...the shutterBUG! 
 
I joined my sister and a few of her friends in a 365 Photo Challenge and am happy to say that I've made the effort, every day, to find something to capture.  I have to say that in addition to finding beauty in my every day life, I have also become a much better deleter.  No longer do thousands of terrible pictures linger on my photo cards or hard drives.  If they don't make the cut, into the recycle bin they go.  Ahhhh.....freedom. 
  
And then along came Valentine's Day.  I went out to buy my newly "bearded" husband a trimmer and he remembered my LIST!  A list that I had long since forgot about.  My birthday and Christmas had come and gone and I must say extravagant Valentine's Days are not "our" thing, but HE REMEMBERED MY LIST.  In he walked, to our chaotic home, with a single rose a card and PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS!  Be still my heart.  He had listened.  And remembered. 
 
And now for over a week, that sweet gift has sat unopened on my buffet.  Why?  Because it terrifies me. 
 
Well, today I opened it.  And played with it.  For a little while.  I am still terrified.  Please add all helpful suggestions below in my comment section on how to begin working with it.  I know it can do amazing things...I just don't know where to start.  But for now, I did manage to come up with this edit. 
 

And it has inspired me to learn more.  Because I love photography.  And I REALLY LOVE good photography.  And I think, with the right tools, I can be a good photographer. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment