Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Easter Books


Okay.  It's probably my fault.  The reason that it hasn't stopped snowing is because I still had Christmas books in all of my children's book baskets.  Ugh...and typing that, I remember one more basket full of holiday cheer.  Must remedy that immediately following this post.


Today was another snow day for me.  We haven't really had all too many this year, but it seems that they are much less welcome as you move further away from Christmas.  It also snowed all day, leaving me with an unadventurous spirit when it came to errand running.  To fill the hours that could quickly succumb to cabin-fever, I decided to change things up.  I pulled out our two pop-up, playhouses that I keep hidden under the downstairs sectional and set them up in front of our front window.  Even with play houses, it's all about location, isn't it!?  And then I lugged all of those Christmas books (except for the ones I just now remembered, ugh) back to their basement home and carried up a fresh new set of Easter and spring-y books.  Now I LOVE Christmas and all the magic snow and the combination of darkness and light brings to it, but seeing the bright colors of the Easter eggs and spring flowers in this new collection of books, filled my spirit with the warmth of sunshine and the newness of fresh starts.  Ahhhhh......sigh..........

Well, obviously, Miss Baby was looking for a fresh start, as well, because she took a moment out of pulling all of her socks out of her drawer to plop down in that sun-lit tent and read.  And read.  And read.  And read.  Then throw all of the books out of the tent and read them on the living room floor.  And then she finally concluded with throwing all the books back in the tent and giving them one final read.  Seriously.  She spent close to an hour immersed in the freshness of spring and new books.


I think this may be her first, "forced" smile for the camera. 

Here are a few of my favorite titles to celebrate SPRING.  It's coming, isn't it?  Spring, that is.  I'm seriously starting to have my doubts.
 K is for Kite - God's Springtime Alphabet by Kathy-jo Wargin and Illustrated by Kim Gatto
An ABC walk through God's springtime world.  A fun way to work on those letters and celebrate NEW life. 


Race You to Bed by Bob Shea 
A fast paced, good night book that results in one sleeping bunny, or is he?

 
Chicky Chicky Chook Chook by Cathy MacLennan
A fun, nonsensical, rhyming book that has silly sounds that all ages will want to mimic.

What's your family's favorite springtime read?  Perhaps if we all pull out some books with bright green grass, blue skies and spring flowers, mother nature will feel obligated to follow suit.  We can hope, can't we?  Wishing you the warmth of a spring day and a good book,




No comments:

Post a Comment